Skip to main content

A Lot of Planning and Revision for a Text-Based Adventure Game in Python

This was great and horrible at the same time.

Introduction

Hello there, coders! Today, I'm going to be telling you about my experiences revising python basics, and planning my text based adventure game! 

This was all done in python as me, a beginner programmer!

Revising my Data Structures

As you have read from my previous blog, I decided to revise the things I've learned from the last two weeks of learning Python.

I've got to say, if you're also a beginner like me, you've got to do this, as this can definitely make yourself more confident in your fundamentals! 

For example, I was really confused about dictionaries, but revising solved that problem instantly!

Planning for the CYOA Game

I was originally planning for my game to be a fighting game, but I do NOT have the skills for it. Not now, at least.

I was going to start coding but then I realized something. I'm doing things without knowing what I'm even working towards! 

Because I realized this, I probably solved my future me's problems!

I did some small flowcharts, but what I mainly fixed was the story.

I made a full length story for how the main ending was going to be like, and then from that, I'm thinking of building more branches on my CYOA game. 

I also added more items to choose from since 5 options was WAY too little.

Conclusion

To be honest, I did all of that in just one day. This sounds pretty impressive, until you realize I was supposed to do this in 7 days.

I could've done so much more, but I guess procrastination and laziness just got to me.

This is a problem I understood was going to happen to be eventually, but I didn't expect it to happen this fast!

Keep yourself motivated and don't be like me, friends!

_______________________

Text Based Adventure Game

planner!!!

This is a choose your own adventure type of game.


- You are a young 11 year old known for getting in trouble for your curiosity.

- Your parents are out for the weekend.

- You find out about this huge, abandoned mansion on the other side of town at school.

- You go there together with your friend Garfield who prefers to stay outside.

- Your bag only has enough space for 4 items.

- Not told to the reader, but there is a sanity meter for an ending.


  • A swiss army knife

  • A camera (done)

  • Snacks ( done )

  • A notepad with a pen (done)

  • Pikachu Plush (don’t sue me nintendo) (done)

  • Waterbottle (done)

  • Flashlight (done)

  • Walkie Talkie to Garfield (done)

This is the story. By the way, we’ll assume that the player has all the items for the sake of fleshing out the story first.


Once you arrive there, your friend Garfield wishes you good luck as he, understandably, trembles from the size of the mansion. You’re also quite worried, but that was overtaken by the excitement of what you could discover there.


When you enter, you decide to chicken out. The end. Ending 1!


You go inside and not chicken out. You turn on your flashlight, and after walking around for a few seconds, you see a stairway and immediately go up it. There, explore the rooms and you take pictures of it. You also take small notes documenting your journey.

You go really deep inside of the mansion and you make a small camp. You rest and eat your snacks and drink some water. You talk to Garfield a bit about your adventure, calming you down a bit.  (note: make everything creepier)


Suddenly, there is a creaking sound that wasn’t made by you and you instantly freeze. You stop the call and stay silent. You peek outside of your door and you see a large dark figure walking. You are shocked beyond belief and you hug your plushie, calming you down. 


The creaking stops and you know you have gone too far. You sneak outside and with your infinite knowledge, you decide to make noise inside of your camp that you used with your water bottle and chip bag to distract the figure. 


You run outside and you can see the previous entrance. You run towards it but the tall black figure pulls your leg. You struggle a lot, and reach for your Swiss army knife and attack the figure. It gives you enough time and you run out of the entrance.


Garfield and you cycle away, with Garfield being the cyclist. You tell your classmates but they don’t trust you. You are safe, and the only people who know about the accident are you and Garfield.


This is just the base storyline, there will be many branches, main one being the stairway and the kitchen branch.

                           

_______________


There's obviously not going to be a coding section for this week since... I didn't code, I just planned so this was my planning that I did!


Also, ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY!!! 


and with that,

signing off,

stewie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

  Coding was always something I was interested in. Introduction I used to be super interested in coding as a kid, because who wouldn't want to make games, create web pages? I obviously signed up for coding tuition when I was around 10, and just could not keep up at all. The teacher was fine, but I guess I just got bored trying to understand and remember the "functions". Recently, I decided to change this, by trying to learn coding again. I still have some basic knowledge for coding, for example loops, conditionals, data types, but other than that, I just forgot everything. After this, I found this incredible website called freecodecamp.org . If you're learning to code, which I think you are doing since you're reading this, you'll probably find this website to be incredibly useful. Other than that, I realized that, "I could probably help some future coding beginners if they saw a blog from a person learning to code." and I set up this blog. I really h

What are Strings? A Beginner's Guide Into Programming Strings in Python

  What is the meaning of a string in coding? Introduction Hello there, coders! This was definitely one of the weirdest concepts I had to understand when I was learning to code.  It is so simple, but I spent an entire evening understand strings! It was ver y embarrassing , but at least I know now!  To hopefully regain my pride, I'm going to explain what strings are in programming as a beginner. What even are strings? Strings are data that you can print out. It's basically text. You might be confused if 9 is a string or an integer (number), but you can just change it! You can type in your code editor to turn a certain variable or a number into a string, in our case 9, by using the str() function. You can put anything in there and it will turn into something you can print out! You can't perform math on the string '9' though. My Experience Aside from the usual data types, I was a bit stumped when I reached the string functions. There were just so many string functions,

A Complete Overhaul of My Text-Based CYOA Game in Python!

  Everything changed. Introduction Hello there, coders! Today, I'm going to be sharing my experiences with planning and coding a text-based CYOA game in Python! The Overhaul I overhauled everything. Why? Well, it all started when I felt some doubt about my game. I felt like everything was going alright, when I took a closer look, and saw that there was no CYOA elements in it whatsoever!  The problem with it, was the fact that you chose 4 items in the beginning, and the story unfolds right in front of your eyes. There was only one single choice in the entire game. This was why I started version 2, where the player wouldn't choose any items in the beginning and make the choices inside of the haunted mansion. When I got into writing the story, I just kept overcomplicating it with souls, and arrogant mansion owners, that I just decided to scrap it completely. There was also a version 3 but I completely forgot about it. I think I scrapped it since there were just too many choices to